martes, 6 de marzo de 2012

Fed up looking for job?

A tired Kangaroo




I remember one day when I was in English class in the School, and the teacher asked us where we would like to go. I started my drafting like this: I want to go to New York. My drafting was really bad.

My teacher crossed out my name and she gave my piece of paper in another class. And she said: Now kids, you need to put in a paper where you would like to go; but first you need to read this paper because this is a good example how you must not do it.

I don’t know why I feel the necessity to tell you this, but I think it is necessary.

Maybe because if I tell you what I have done to look for a job you should remember the sentence: This is a good example how you must not do it... or maybe yes... because you think your luck will be better than mine.

Obviously, firstly, you need to choose your job in Australia. My job here is anything. So if you want to do a resume (curriculum vitae) you need to have experience in your sector. My Journalism Degree doesn´t matter here. I tell you more, last week I received an email from McDonalds and they said they have got someone more qualified than me, that means he was better than me for work. Thanks God, in that moment I had another job because my self-steem could have been heavily damaged. However, I called my friend Fonso and we laughed a lot with this... in McDonalds, Journalism is not enough, maybe an Engineering would be appropiate.. but this could be another post!

Back to my topic… what happens if you don’t have experience??  Nothing! Because you can invent it. I don’t have to do it because fortunately I have real experience but you need to trust me, IF YOU DON’T HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE YOU SHOULD INVENT IT.

Important skills here:

Barman, you should try at home how you can make cocktails, if you need help you can watch a lot of videos in the website youtube. Anyway, you need to pass the course RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol). You can book this course in Internet because is cheaper. I didn’t know and I paid a lot for it.

Cook, if you are good chef, you need to tell them! The same if you are a good assistant cook. Besides, I think if your nationality is Italian you should go to Pizzerias, maybe is a stupid idea… but it works, the same thing is if you are Asian... try to go to Asian restaurants. You don’t lose anything to try it! I found a job in a Spanish bar…I´m Spanish... where are you from?

Cleaning, you need to know how you can do beds, in my last hotel the manager said “we work for the top of the bed”. It´s a good idea because the bed will be perfect. The truth is they didn’t pay me because in Australia sometimes your trail is free… I think if you do this in Spain (to have people working for free… maybe your local will be burn). Anyway, we can go on.

Waiter/ waitress, you need to speak English but sometimes it´s more important to smile to customers and to be polite!

Sales Assistant, you can say you worked in a shop in your country. I did it, but my problem here is the timetable. I have School in the mornings and here the stores close very early!! So, before to give them your curriculum, try to pay attention in the timetable!

Well, now you have written your resume and you need to give them.

You should go to the restaurant (or wherever) and you need to say "Hi! Whats going on? (typical Australian sentence). My name is X and I´m looking for a job… Is your manager here? I would like to talk with him!"

The truth is in Byron Bay I found two jobs because I always came back to all the places I visited and I never lost my smile and my hope. Now in Brisbane I work in a Spanish bar, and I´m really happy there.

But you should trust me, to find a job is not easy because you are an immigrant here and sometimes they exploit your situation… but if you have hope and patient… you can!

Good luck with your hunting!


1 comentario:

  1. me ha gustado mucho..aunque no entienda esa lengua ni se lo que dice..pero..largo es...asi que algo debes decir

    ResponderEliminar